HEAD LICE IN YOUR CHILD’S CLASS
We suggest the following procedure for inspecting and treating your child for head lice:
1. Under a bright light begin looking at the back of the head just above the neck area.
2. Part the hair section by section and look closely for head lice or nits (eggs). Eggs will be located near the scalp.
3. Depending on the length and thickness of the hair, it should take between 5 and 15 minutes to properly inspect a child’s head.
4. Wash the hair as normal.
5. Apply conditioner liberally, including the full length of long hair.
6. Lay out white tissues over which you will comb the hair.
7. Comb the hair through with a normal comb first, to get rid of any knots.
8. With a fine tooth comb (“nit comb”), starting from the roots of the hairs, comb out along the complete length of the hair. After each stroke check the comb for lice and wipe it clean. Work systematically around the whole head of hair.
9. Rinse the hair as normal.
For more information please contact your doctor or local pharmacist.